Thursday, May 7, 2009

Artistic Overlap

I consider myself a tad over mediocre in the creativity department, but drawing and painting have never been my strong suits.

My dad put me in charge of designing T-shirts for our huge extended family reunion this summer. I tried to enlist a couple of artist friends who politely declined. My family is notorious for groan-inducing cheesy slogans/pictures at family reunions and I wanted to shy away from that. It would seem from past reunions that only puns and rhymes were at our disposal.

So I decided to try my hand and see if I could possibly come up with something myself that didn't completely suck.

As I thought about the location where the reunion will be held I remembered that the last time we had a reunion there, about a decade ago, the big memorable event was when a large moose wandered through our camp. I decided to make the moose our mascot. After using a few pictures online as references, this is the picture I drew to go on the shirts.

Remember, I don't normally draw particularly well. I sketched this in pencil and utilized my eraser A LOT. It took me about 3 hours, including the family name which I cropped out of the picture. I can tell you, I haven't felt this proud about creating something in long long time.

You are now free to tell me how awesome I am.

4 comments:

Liane Spicer said...

Awesome indeed! I love the moose's expression.

Anonymous said...

I like it a bunch. Much better than I could've done for sure. :)

K.Lawson Gilbert said...

LOL! Wow, can you design a t-shirt for our family reunion next summer??? (JK)

I think your family is gonna love what you created!!

taylorhicks said...

It is my first visit to your blog, and I am very impressed with the articles that you serve. Give me adequate knowledge to me. Thank you for sharing useful material. If you want to Buy Gamer Hoodie Gift for Teen, you can check out the Home Brand Studio online store.