Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Naughty Girl/NaNo Freak Out/Serious Rant

I've not done right by those who visit me, which probably means my limited readership has dropped even further, to my chagrine, but such is life. We've been playing duck duck goose with a nasty cold and I got goosed. Plus we've had all the frivolties of Halloween to deal with and hear it is the day of and I still haven't carved the pumpkin. Oh well.



At the forefront of my mind is the fact that NaNoWriMo starts tomorrow! I felt like at the first of the month I was so gung ho that by the time November rolled around I'd feel ready. I am comforted by the fact that some people are doing this from scratch, no plot, no characters, nothing; at least I'm ahead of them, but I'm daunted, no doubt about it. I've got about 7 chapters loosely outlined, which I'm hoping will lay out the path for the rest of the book to follow. We'll see. I'm excited and nervous. I'll be sure to give regular updates of my progress and possible excerpts if I find something on the page other than drivel. If there is anyone within eyesight of this post who is participating this year, feel free to buddy me. I'm needy. My name over there is HoodieWriter.



And for those of you who like a good rant, I've prepared one especially for you. I am disgusted with the dominating practice in our society to let the few determine the rules for the majority. If people could start worrying a little bit more about fixing problems instead of spending all of their time blaming others for them we may not have this problem. Let me explain what I'm talking about.



We went to buy shoes for my daughter a few weeks ago. We've really been trying to stay within a budget, so price was the number factor, but I also wanted something cute and practical. We absolutely HAD to buy shoes. She had only one pair of flip flops she was fitting into and it was starting to get cold. Every store we visited either was out of her size of the shoes we liked or was way out of our price range. It was becoming quite a frustrating process. Finally, at PayLess we found one pair that seemed perfect for our needs and had been significantly marked down. I literally whooped for joy. With a triumphant grin I took the shoes to the register where I was told there had been a recall on the shoes and she couldn't sell them to me. I was so irritated. There those great shoes sat, never to be worn, because a little rivet or shoelace or rubber piece or something fell off a shoe somewhere. I was tempted to just steal them. We live in such a blame/sue-happy society companies take ridiculous efforts in keeping themselves from lawsuits. Your kid found a piece of a toy and choked on it? SUE THE TOY COMPANY!



More examples that just make my ears steam? My sister's OB/GYN, whom she adored, had to quit his practice due to unaffordable malpractice insurance. Your baby wasn't born perfect? SUE YOUR DOCTOR! They took the hand sanitizer out of the kids room at my gym because some lady said that she read of a case where a kid had continually pumped it on his hands and licked it off, making him sick. So on the weird chance some kid might lick sanitizer, LET'S NOT PROVIDE IT FOR ANYONE! I grew up in a very conservative community where most people were religious. One girl complained, though she was in no way forced to participate, that a group prayer had offended her, so prayer was banned at all functions. TO SAVE "OFFENDING" THE ONE, LET'S OFFEND THE MAJORITY! Now, because of the irresponsible use of children's cold medicine, they won't sell it to the rest of us. SORRY KIDS, YOU'LL JUST HAVE TO SUFFER THROUGH IT.



Are people getting hurt less? Sick less? Are all these bans and recalls and lawsuits helping? I, personally, don't think so. I think the only thing we're accomplishing is training people to take no responsibility for their own mistakes and stupidity but to look for a way to blame/punish someone else for it. Aarrggh.



I know this encompasses some sensitive, controversial topics. Perhaps my views don't fall within those determined most popular, but GOOD GRIEF PEOPLE!



No Vocab today.

I urge you all to indulge in some sugary treats, the real reason for Halloween.

5 comments:

The Quoibler said...

Hoodie:

You said it perfectly. These recalls and sue-happy folks are out of control.

It's been like this for a while, and I dread what will happen in the future. It really does spoil it for everyone, doesn't it?

In happier news, it's almost time to eat... er... hand out (yeah, right) some goodies. This is my favorite holiday. I just love watching the gremlins come out. But not the teen ones. They have no business being on the street begging for candy.

Growl... happy hallow's eve!

Angelique

SzélsőFa said...

Oh, I am also here to say how well you've put it down here, HoodieWriter;)
My humble suggestion for Vocabulary Word of Today:
Sagacity -
meaning the quality of being sage, wise, or able to make good decisions

Anonymous said...

Hoodie - glad you are back and good luck with NaNoWriMo.

As far as your rant goes, I agree with most of that. I think some blame should be given to the judges who award these outrageous settlements because without them, the lawsuits would be unsuccessful.

Chris Eldin said...

Either Hoodie is coming off of a sugar high, or somebody better buy her daughter a pair of shoes!
;-)
Just kidding!

I agree with you completely. And that stuff is at the micro level. I can rant on and on about the stuff like CEO of Merrill Lynch being 'forced out' with a $200 million dollar package. My blood boils just thinking about it. I wonder how many children could receive health-care coverage with that amount of money.

We don't feel connected to one another any more. It becomes easier to neglect/abuse each other when that happens...

Just a few thoughts.

Good luck with Nanowrimo !

Hoodie said...

Angelique, Szelsofa, Strugglingwriter and Church Lady, it's nice when my feelings get reinforced.

Angelique - I hope you enjoyed the goodies. I'm enjoying ours a little bit too much.

Szelsofa - perfect vocab word!

StrugglingWriter - I agree with you about the judges. Anyone who encourages/enables this behavior is just contributing to the problem.

CL - I think we are more disconnected from each other and I also think there is a kind of mob mentality involved as well. People do things they wouldn't on their own when they others doing them and seemingly being rewarded for it. People are just hopping on the BlameWagon.